Saturday, March 19, 2011

Finding balance

For whatever reason, today I have been thinking about sacrifices and priorities.  For the last 2 years, Zack and I have sacrificed time together in order to spend more time at home with our child in our care instead of someone else's (our priority).  We've managed to maintain one day a week off together, but at one point he worked Saturday and I worked Sunday and I still work on Sundays, and sometimes a half a day on Saturday, our supposed day off together.  More and more often, our day off "together" means that he spends a half a day having some time to himself, and me to myself, sans child.  That, along with evening obligations for a business he's starting up (and previously classes while he got his MBA), means very little whole family time.  I'm beginning to wonder, is it worth it?  Is the time we are spending individually alone with our child beneficial enough to justify sacrificing time together as a family?

I will be the first to admit I'm over working on the weekend.  I've been working at least one weekend day  almost every weekend for close to 3 1/2 years (with about a 6 month hiatus in there).  Granted, I no longer work full-time and I do enjoy the slower pace of the weekend, but it's days like today that make me second guess this decision.  We went to the park this morning and there were soccer games and baseball practice going on, families having birthday parties, picnics, and just generally hanging out.  When it gets warmer, not having two days off together means we can't really go camping except rushing out of the house following one of us getting off work, and not having the weekend off means missing out on camping trips, hikes, and barbecues with friends.  We are basically forced out of any type of social life.  I know a lot of people work weekends, but I'm not sure it's right for us.

Wouldn't it be better to put my kiddo in childcare one more day and only work on the weekdays?  Part of me says yes, but another part says, you're PRN at your jobs, you have to take work when they need it, which is weekends.   I have to have an income for us to make ends meet.  Part of me says, that's great in theory, but the other part says what about when you have an infant?  Paying for more childcare for two children is not financially responsible and do I really have it in me to put my infant in childcare that much anyway? Peyton didn't start any until a year old and at first it was only one day.   I am torn trying to find the balance between quality child and quality family time and trying to maintain Zack and I's individual sanity by giving us necessary alone time all while being able to pay our bills.  I'm selfish, I want it all, but where is the balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your input, comments and encouragement below.