Wednesday, August 18, 2010

An eye opening experience

Nothing like a pregnancy "scare" to let you know where your priorities are.  I use the term "scare" loosely. At first when I missed my period, I was nervous.  After all, the reason we were using birth control was that we were on vacation and I was drinking.  But the later my period got, the more I thought, lots of women get pregnant and don't realize it for months and have healthy babies (and I really only drank to excess 4 times after the moment I could have gotten pregnant since I gave it up when we got back home).  Once I came to terms with this, I began to get excited about the idea of being pregnant.  I immediately started doing all the things I need to do to have a healthy baby, quit caffeine, quit alcohol, no lunch meat, prenatal vitamins, etc.  I had 2 negative pregnancy tests, but it took a while for my first child to show up on a HPT.  I had myself completely convinced I was pregnant, the condom must have failed.  I had no symptoms of PMS, but I did have some of the minor symptoms of pregnancy I'd had the first time around, frequent urination, excessive thirst, mild cramps.  Now I guess I can attribute them to drinking lots more water and PMS.  So last night, when it became evident I was going to get my period after all, I was not sad exactly, but enlightened.  I realized I'm ready to give up the things you have to give up when you are pregnant in order to expand my family.  Giving up caffeine wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, I just substituted my nightly wine with cran/grape juice and sparkling water, and I cooked in bulk to eat healthier.  I needed this kick in the butt to get me over the decision hump of when would be a good time to try for another child.  My conclusion, now.  If it happens I now know I will be thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your input, comments and encouragement below.