Monday, September 26, 2011

Mornings with Murphy

I had a Murphy's Law type of morning.  There is no other way to explain it.  Today was my first day back at work where I had to get the kids and myself ready and drop them off at the babysitter.  Last night I packed the diaper bag, got the coffee maker ready, and set my alarm for 6 am, giving me plenty of time to get myself completely ready, pump a bottle for Sierra for when she got to the babysitter, and pack my lunch and make absolutely certain I had everything, before the kids woke up.  Um, no.  The first thing that interrupted my well laid plan was that both kiddos decided that by 6:30 they were awake for the morning.  I would've loved to have left Peyton in his bed playing, but he has this amazing ability to pee in his bed through the diaper if I wait too long.  So after only getting myself dressed and pumping, I went and got him up.  He was so excited to be "going to Miss Lisa's" that he couldn't sleep and wouldn't stop bugging me about when we were leaving.  The morning went smoothly enough, even with them both up until we went to leave.  I got them both in the car and then realized I needed to go to the bathroom and really didn't want to be wearing the shirt I was wearing all day.  My goal was to leave by 7:25, by 7:39 after starting "Cars" on the car DVD player, which I'd promised Peyton the night before, we were on the road.

Now the drive to my work is approximately 45 minutes in the morning with traffic.  So off we went, heading due east into the blinding fall sun.  (For those of you who have never experienced sun glare in Denver, it's no joke, you can't see).  At some point on the journey I heard Sierra poop in the backseat.  That may be too much information, but very important in understanding my morning.  I got within 5 minutes of the babysitter's house when I suddenly realized, I packed the bottle I pumped in the morning, but no other frozen milk for Sierra.  Silently cursing myself, I started heading back towards home, texting my work I'd be in later and the babysitter that we'd be well past my estimated 8:00-8:15 arrival time.  About half way home Peyton realized we were driving back home and said "Mommy?  I thought we were going to Miss Lisa's."  Observant child.  So we finally made it all the way back home, I grabbed the milk from the freezer and went to change Sierra's diaper.  As I feared, it was a bad one.  Her clothes and the car seat were covered in poop.  I did my best to clean the car seat, since I had to put her back in it, get her out of her poopy clothes without causing too much of a mess, clean her up, and change her outfit.  By then I needed to use the restroom and decided it was a good time to refill my coffee, wishing I could spike it with something.

So already being an emotional wreck from having to leave my baby girl with a sitter (who has taken good care of Peyton for over a year, so I really shouldn't have been so worried), I finally got to Miss Lisa's house to drop them off...and I lingered.  It was so hard to say goodbye.  Peyton was off like a shot playing, paying me no mind.  Sierra was all smiles as I left.  Not sure if that's harder or to leave a crying baby.  I sat in the parking lot at work for at least five minutes trying to compose myself.  Damn Murphy had to make an already difficult day more difficult, but when all was said and done, the kiddos had a great day, I had a good day at work and enjoyed my patients, and I know that each week, from here on out, it will get easier.  I am blessed to only have to leave them two days a week and one is with their daddy, so I really can't wish for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your input, comments and encouragement below.