Monday, October 3, 2011

Elusive Exercise

Oh, exercise, how do I miss thee.  Bike rides, weekly runs with the Snug, spinning, an hour spent at 24 hour fitness before heading to pick my kiddo up at his babysitter.  I have been very neglectful of exercise.  It's one thing to feel the desire for it in my head and quite another to actually accomplish it.  As much as I love to work out, I'm picky about how I do it and am easily bored.  My infant is too young for the bike trailer so biking is out of the question.  Running the hills in my neighborhood with a double jog stroller with a car seat in it is beyond difficult and extremely disheartening when it comes to getting back in shape.  My bike trainer is set up in the basement for nap time use, but I can't seem to motivate myself to go ride in place for more than 10 minutes.  And yet I know I feel better with it.  I feel better when I am sweating, huffing and puffing, heart pounding.  It makes you alive.  It makes me a better mother and wife.  Especially if I can get away for that evening jog on my own.  Yet, our days are getting markedly shorter, leaving less evening time to go for a run (I'm freaked out by after dark running here in Colorado where there are mountain lions and lately a rash of coyote attacks on joggers).  My husband is going to start working 10 hour days soon, making it difficult for either of us to get a workout in before children's bedtimes.  So I guess what I'm saying is that if I want to continue on my path to post-baby weight loss and I want to feel the high associated with a good ol' sweat fest, I need to stop being a work out snob.  I need to get on the bike trainer, maybe join the local Snap fitness that's minutes from my house so that I can do an after dark treadmill workout.  I need to stop what I'm doing when the kiddos decide to nap at the same time and use it to do some yoga, a strength workout or even get in a little Wii action.  I need to make time...time for exercise, time for me.  I will be a better mom and wife for it, but it's so hard...

1 comment:

  1. Just do it! Look up a spinning workout online, write it down and tape it to your bike on the trainer. Turn on some music and GO! Although it may not be the most exciting thing in the world, indoor cycling has been shown to be extremely effective in making cyclists better (no downhills, it is easier to work hard). You don't have to have this huge workout plan, just start small and just DO IT! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your input, comments and encouragement below.