Friday, December 30, 2011

Another Year Passes

It's that time of year again.  That time when the numbers at the end of the date tick up once more to remind us of all the things we had planned for the past year that never came to be.  The goals we set and didn't meet, the projects we started but didn't finish.  People use this time of year to set resolutions for the coming year, reflect on what has happened in the last, and most importantly, PARTY!  As if a mother of 2 under the age of 3 has the energy for that!  That's the way I used to feel only focusing on the negative and setting lofty goals that in my utopia would happen, but I knew wouldn't.  So instead of resolutions last year I reflected on what had happened in the last year and just strove to be a better mother and wife.  Was I?  I'm not sure.  I think I was a better mother, but as any woman who has kids knows, finding balance between being a mother and being a wife is extremely difficult.  Mothering trumps being a wife every time, leaving the poor husband to wonder what has happened and why things can't be the same.  All I can say in defense is the way one feels about what their body is for after having kids is so different and I am having a hard time feeling sexy again.  Will I?  Probably someday.  Is it now?  Not so much.  I also wanted to set things in motion for a career move down the road.  That didn't happen, but it looks like in 2012 it might, so let's keep our fingers crossed.  So as we enter 2012 I will reflect on the past year and not set resolutions per se, but I do have some expectations, if you will, for this year (provided the world does not come to an end).

First off, what's new.  I had another baby.  Our darling daughter, Sierra, came to us on June 26, 2011, three days late after threatening for weeks before to be early.  She gave us quite a scare during her birth, deciding she wasn't quite ready to breathe in the real world, but was taken great care of by my midwife and nurse and has turned out to be excelling developmentally just like her brother was.  The addition of a second child has been taxing and exhausting and wonderful.  My mom was here for 2 months after she was born so that was a big help.  I did have to go back to work 2-3 days a week when she was three months old and we had to put her in daycare one day a week, which I didn't have to do for Peyton until he was over a year so I have felt guilty for already giving her the short stick, but she seems to be a trooper.  She's so mellow and happy and I hope that stays with her though out her life.  Nothing has happened with Zack's MBA, but he has been able to move into outpatient which is a change he's enjoyed and has made things with our family easier because he can work four ten hour days.  Peyton turned two in April and has been an amazing big brother and has developed into such a great little boy.  He started gymnastics and was in a co-op preschool that was great for him and me.   It got me involved with some other midwifery moms and developed some great relationships and support that I hope continues to grow.  We got to travel to San Diego to see my best friend and her baby and to Florida to spend Thanksgiving on Longboat Key with my mom and stepdad.  Mostly we were homebodies this year (for us), but we did get out and camp multiple times even with a small baby.  I guess if I could sum it up, things worked out.  Money is tight, at time tensions are high, but overall we are happy and making it happen.

As we enter 2012 I have a few aspirations.  I would like to develop my creative side.  I've started following some blogs to help with my photography and gardening and that will give me ideas for creative projects with the kids that will help them develop motor and cognitive skills and don't cost a lot of money or require toys with batteries.  I want to organize and clean house.  I want to rid my life of excess baggage, both stuff and people.  I want to learn how to make soap, candles, sew and can.  I want to get back to making jewelry.  I've already registered for a half marathon and I want to ride the Tour de Steamboat (a little over 100 mile road bike ride).  I want to be a good, loving mom and wife that can help provide for my family and be happy with how I respond to situations.  And, of course with it being the new year and all I want to make my goal weight.  I'm currently 3 pounds away from pre-pregnancy weight and 7 from my goal weight.

Here's a few highlight pics from this year.
Pregnant with Sierra

Peyton turns 2

Rockies game to make up for the one snowed out on Peyton's birthday

Family walk for MS

Zack's MBA graduation

Sierra was born, June 26, 2011 at Mountain Midwifery

Peyton excited to be a big brother

Sierra's first camping trip

The whole family on Sierra's first camping trip

USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Steamboat Springs

Visit to San Diego

Peyton starts gymnastics

Florida for Thanksgiving



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your input, comments and encouragement below.