Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Book club frustration

So I am in a book club. I was excited by the prospect of reading something I normally wouldn't choose and discussing it with girlfriends. I think this might be trial by fire. The first book is a whopping 700 page monster that is not really my taste. I am struggling to get through it and (truth be told) I have cheated and read a synopsis online to see how it ends. That's really not unusual for me. I have historically been a "read the last page of the book before I read the book" kind of person. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle promoted itself as a story about a mute boy's coming of age when his father dies and he believes his uncle is involved in his death and attempts to prove it. No where in the jacket does it say, "this is a story with an unhappy ending after you've read 700 pages and it has a weird supernatural twist and has way too many details about dogs." I am sorry, but when I read, I read for A. Information, B. To feel good, C. To learn something. This book has neither taught me anything or made me feel good. In fact, at times, it has made me feel very very bad (I'm having some issues with my dog and reading about dogs makes me sad). And yet, I feel compelled to keep reading, even knowing how it ends. Many times I have felt the plot building and have thought, this is when the story really starts moving, only to have it slow down to a lull again. But, I am looking forward to discussing it and seeing what others have to say about this critically acclaimed book. The thing that bothers me is that it makes me feel like I don't appreciate good writing when a book with such positive feedback from those in the know, does nothing for me. Of course I have been into the nonfiction world for years. I have read very few fictional books in the last 10 years. Here's to hoping I like next month's book better.

1 comment:

  1. I had to stop reading your blog a couple sentences in because I am the opposite (I think this is the first thing we have been totally opposite on, btw). I won't read a book if I know the ending. I have been feeling guilty about not reading the book. I have enjoyed it but it is LONG.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your input, comments and encouragement below.